This was another banner year for Brewer Science, one in which it won several awards, showed off its cutting-edge technology at multiple industry events and gave back to the community in many different ways. A summary of some Brewer Science highlights from 2017:
- Brewer Science voiced support for a report by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology urging U.S. companies to out-innovate China. “Existing market forces are not enough,” commented Dr. Terry Brewer. “It will require a different mix of private sector development and public-sector policies to ensure the semiconductor industry continues to grow, innovate and out-compete those who want to replace the U.S. as the global leader in advanced manufacturing.”
- We helped fund mobile STEM learning labs at elementary schools in Vienna and Belle, Missouri, teaming with teachers and interns to host a steak dinner/auction fundraiser. After Brewer Science matched the funds, each school was bestowed $4,000 and two new iPads.
- Brewer Science showcased its wares at the SPIE Advanced Lithography Conference in San Jose, California, holding learning sessions and giving presentations on the most advanced technologies in lithography.
- We exhibited our original sensor technology products at Printable Electronics Japan 2017, part of the Converting Technology Exhibition in Tokyo. The focus was on accelerating innovation and solutions found in process technology and materials for expedited commercialization.
- Brewer Science Chief Technical Officer Dr. Tony D. Flaim was a keynote speaker at the Advanced Packaging & System Integration Technology Symposium in Wuxi, China. He discussed issues, challenges and opportunities in wafer-level packaging.
- For the second consecutive year, Brewer Science was recognized for managing its waste products so absolutely no waste was added to landfills. We’re the only company in our industry to achieve Zero Waste to Landfill Certification from GreenCircle Certified LLC, thanks to our mini bin recycling program, our community waste collection program, our giant trash compactor “Big Blue” and our blending of waste into fuel.
- Partnering with ITRI, Brewer Science was among 1,600 exhibitors to demonstrate smart city innovation (in our case, printed sensor technology) at COMPUTEX TAIPEI 2017 in Taiwan. Considered the ultimate forum for new products and technologies impacting the IoT, the event hosted over 40,000 people.
- We celebrated the 25th anniversary of our first overseas operation with Brewer Science Limited, located in Derby, United Kingdom. These days, Brewer Science’s overseas branches extend to Japan, Germany, France, Korea, China and Taiwan.
- We commemorated the 10-year anniversary of our co-founding of the Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC) and its history of collaborative research and development. The center is made possible by local businesses, Missouri State University personnel and local, state and federal representatives. “Our partnership with JVIC has resulted in technology breakthroughs that are changing the world around us,” remarks Dr. Brewer.
- Brewer Science won the FLEXI Award for Technology Leadership in Education at the 16th Annual Flexible and Printed Electronics Conference in Monterrey, California. FlexTech bestowed the recognition in honor of Brewer Science’s contribution to the flexible hybrid electronics industry through education and opportunities that promote STEM workforce development.
- For the fourth time, Brewer Science was named a top Midsize Workplace by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch based on the company’s values, leadership, motivated employees and culture.
- Brewer Science extended its partnership with Arkema in continuing to develop second-generation directed self-assembly materials using high-x (chi) block copolymers. Dr. Brewer explained that the collaboration will help solve cost and technical challenges related to achieving device nodes down to 5 nm and beyond, allowing for production of the next generation of DSA materials.
- Brewer Science received the Perfect Quality Award from ON Semiconductor in Kuala Lumpur after receiving perfect quality scores for all four quarters of 2016.
- Brewer Science was named Supplier of the Year by 3D InCites in recognition of its contributions to the advancement of heterogeneous integration, including wafer-level packaging materials that allow for reduced form and greater efficiency.
- Srikanth (Sri) Kommu joined Brewer Science as executive director responsible for its semiconductor business. Among other accomplishments, Kommu is a graduate of the executive General Management Program at Harvard Business School and holds a doctorate in chemical engineering from Washington University.
- Brewer Science shared info with other semiconductor industry movers and shakers at SEMICON Taiwan 2017. The country has been a forerunner in emerging technologies in front- and back-end materials and process steps for next-generation manufacturing. “We are committed to supporting Taiwanese innovation,” notes Dr. Brewer.
- We staged our annual Pure Enjoyment event at the Creamery Arts Center in Springfield, Missouri, showcasing more than 100 original works of art for an open-to-the-public juried presentation and opening reception.
- Brewer Science’s Executive Director of Advanced Technologies-R&D, Rama Puligadda, and her team presented a paper at the 50th Anniversary Symposium of the International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society in Raleigh, North Carolina. The topic: how new dielectric materials will enable crucial advancements in electronic packaging technology.
- Business Technology Director Kim Yess of Brewer Science’s Wafer-Level Packaging Materials Division spoke on substrate build-up and thin wafer handling at 3D ASIP, the premier global conference on 2.5/3DIC focused on commercialization and infrastructure.
- Brewer Science Business Development Director Ram Trichur traveled to Singapore to give an invited talk on temporary bonding materials at the 19th Electronics Packaging Technology Conference (EPTC 2017), an international event focusing on the electronics packaging industry.
- Brewer Science participated in SEMICON Japan, a Tokyo event focusing on the latest and greatest in semiconductor production and wafer-level packaging.
As always, the company looks forward to announcing new achievements and innovation in the new year.